I absolutely love this salad! My daughter Barbara and I always make sure there are no leftovers. I fashioned this recipe after the classic Insalata Caprese served in italian restaurants with a thick slab of fresh tomato covered with slices of fresh mozzarella and drizzled with olive oil and fresh basil. That is great for a restaurant dinner, but too much work for a home meal. So I mix things up and serve it family style. We rarely get decent tomatoes in Florida, so I use the super large cherry tomatoes, quartered.
- 3 cups fresh tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1 carton fresh mozzarella packed in water, about 8 ounces, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 can small black olives, drained 15 ounce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- sea salt to taste
To a large glass serving bowl add the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and olives. Drizzle on the olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle salt on and gently mix thoroughly. Let rest for at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to mingle. Do NOT refrigerate. Refrigeration ruins the tomatoes.