This recipe is a great substitute for au gratin potatoes for the low carb folks. It is equally delicious as a side dish for any menu.
- 1 large head fresh cauliflower, thinly sliced to make 3 cups
- 3/4cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheese plus 1/2 cup more for topping
- Use good melting cheeses like meunster, colby, jack, etc.
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Herbs of choice:
- dried crushed rosemary – 1/2 teaspoon or
- chopped fresh rosemary – 1 tablespoon or
- dried thyme – 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a food processor’s slicing blade or a mandoline, slice the cauliflower heads into thin pieces. If you get a lot of cauliflower crumbs along with the slices, save those for another recipe. Arrange all the slices, about 3 cups in an 8 by 8 baking dish. Use some of the cauliflower crumbs to fill in the spaces, but mostly, you want the slices.
For the sauce, warm the heavy cream or half and half in a medium sauce pan. Do not boil. Add the shredded cheese a handful at a time and stir until melted and incorporated. When all the cheese has been melted into the cream, add seasonings and pour over the cauliflower.
Sprinkle additional shredded cheese overtop and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.